GB> Re: [AMRadio] Tin whiskers?

Bob Macklin macklinbob at msn.com
Wed Feb 2 16:05:07 EST 2005

Bill,

We had conductive epoxies back in the 60s. It had silver powder in it. It
was a mess to work with. We used it mostly on space projects.

This latest thing is an epoxy doped with fine nickel particals. When the
parts are assembled under pressure the resin is squezzed out and the nickle
particles make the contact between the the part and the PCB. The cured resin
then both holds the part in place and makes an airtight seal.

When I was first told about it by a friend I was really skeptical.  We
actually did make some computer memory board with this process but the
company I was working for went bellyup before they could develop a viable
process.

Geting rid of the lead was the object.

But managment was more interested in sellin g stock than developing the
process. I beleive there was financial fraud involved. When I left (I QUIT)
they owed me two months wages ($16K).

Bob Macklin
K5MYJ/7
Seattle, Wa.