[AMRadio] Open Reel Tape -- Production resumes ?

Merz Donald S merz.ds at mellon.com
Tue Feb 15 13:00:50 EST 2005

Well, you can't beat the look of an open reel tape machine. The sound? --that's another matter entirely. The recording industry has certainly gone digital. The used-audio places are full of the best name brand tape machines and they can all be had for a song. The analog mixer is beginning to suffer a similar fate. Outboard hardware is also going soft. The compressor and effects hardware makers have had to release "plug-in" software versions of all of their products in order to protect their name in the marketplace.

Audio production is going the way of the analog radio. In the not too distant future, it will all be software and "control surfaces".

73, Don Merz, N3RHT