[AMRadio] Old Novice Days

Geoff w5omr at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Wed Feb 23 20:23:10 EST 2005

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. wrote:

>> C'mon, man... a pair of 3CX800A7's?  That's 1600w of dissapation,
>> fer-cryin'out-loud!  The right voltage on the plates would make 'em
>> sing to -at least- 2kW pep output.  And some of these dual 4-1000
>> homebrew amps I hear on the air?  Isn't it the Alpha 8877 amp that
>> runs 2 (not one, but *TWO*) 8877's in the output, EACH with a plate
>> dissapation rating of 1,500w?
>>
>> *shrug*
>>
>> It's nice to remember the old days.  And, yes. the times, they are
>> a'changing.   It's just that I just don't necessarily think some of
>> us hams are changing in a good/positive way.
>> The Law is Always The Law.  It doesn't bend because you run a
>> different mode. The LEGAL output limit is 1500w PEP.
>

> Anybody know where I could find a schematic for these amplifiers?
> Whats the best way to build a 1kw (capable) modulation transformer to
> plate modulate an amp like these? Not that I'd want to. Just asking...

Why couldn't you run a 500w modulation transformer, insulated off of
ground, DC shunted off of the secondary a-la "reactor", and capacitivly
couple the audio to the DC line to the amp?    I've been looking for
years, for a single 40Hy choke, at 500mA and have yet to locate one.  I
have strung several chokes in series, and obtained the same results.
Just not at the 1500w level
;-)

---
73 = Best Regards,