[AMRadio] ART 13 Transmitter - WWII Drake Power Supply

Mark Foltarz Foltarz at rocketmail.com
Thu Feb 24 10:28:01 EST 2005

> I assume you are using the Drake PS for the TR series?

Ron,

Nope! As far as I can tell this power supply was one of the first itmes Drake
ever produced. They made a few items during WWII and this was made I believe in
1944.

It sort of a squatty cube about 1 foot on side and about a foot and a half in
height. It has a big fan in the top cover. There are two lamps, a breaker
doubles as a power switch and there is also power connector the same as that on
 the transmitter.

I have never seen another one.

It was made just for the ART13. It contains the filament, LV & HV supplies.

When I got it the filament supply was shorted and all the electrolytics were
bad.

I replaced the filament transformer with a 19 VAC and full waved the output
into a big cap ( 50K ufd or something.) I removed the 4 mercuty arc tubes and
replaced them with SS rectifiers.

Finally, the electrolytics were removed and replaced with a bunch of 430 ufd @
250 shunted by 40K equalization resisitors.

Everything else is intact. You turn on the switch and the big green light
lights up. Wait about 45 seconds and the relay used to delay the plate for the
mercury tubes kicks in and the red lamp  and HV supplies come up. The
transmitter is ready for service.

Like I said, I have never seen another one of these power supplies. I don't
have the model number in hand as I am in Florida right now and the supply is in
Ohio.

de KA4JVY

Mark