[AMRadio] Old Novice Days

Joe Crawford crawfish at surfmore.net
Sun Feb 27 22:01:19 EST 2005

As I said in an earlier post( also borne out by my log) the date was
November 15th, 1972. I had to buy new crystals from Mock Electronics in
Huntsville, AL. They had two in the 7100-7150 range for $2.00 each!!But I
had borrowed an HW-16 and HG-10 VFO (after I found out the VF-1 was
cathode-keyed, not grid-block keying). I could have modded it, but it didn't
belong to me. When I let the HW-16 go back to the guy who owned it, I bought
a Globe Scout 65A and used some old 7030-7050 crystals to triple to 15m,
where I found lots of DX. Got my General in June, 1973. Had to wait on
license, as call had to change from WN to WA or WB. I got a retread WA4,
which seemed to anger some of the older guys who had later WA4's. They would
die right now if they  knew I had the second oldest call in W4.I will always
remember the SWL days and the Novice days
                                            Joe W4AAB