[AMRadio] Early version Johnson Ranger I

Byron Lichtenwalner w3wkr at verizon.net
Sat Jan 1 10:33:46 EST 2005

Hello Frank
I have an earlyRanger that has a keyer added.  Your right, it is a small
chassie supported by three long standoff and is positioned above the operate
switch.  Since the transformer on the Ranger 1 did not have taps on the
transformer for the negative voltage supply, there were abunch of 10 watt
carbon resistors in a voltage divider to feed the 6al5 to generate the -40
volts for the keyer.

If you considering modifications, look at W3AM and WA2HLR changes.  I have
made those changes and am within a week or so of completing then.  BTW, they
also have a PTT circuit if you going AM

Byron, W3WKR