[AMRadio] You Won't Believe This

Alan Cohen acohen at texas.net
Sun Jan 2 07:18:07 EST 2005

It would be interesting to see exactly how much current is flowing
through the meter.  Try hooking the lead from the smoothing choke to
the other terminal of the meter.  Now, if the same phenomena is present
you can read the current flow.  Also, it just seems like an interesting
thing to try just to see if you get flow at all.

By any chance, is there a capacitor across the terminals?  If so, what
happens if you remove it?

Alan
WA2DZL

On Jan 2, 2005, at 1:25 AM, David Knepper wrote:

> What is strange about this condition is that the meter deflects
> correctly
> when connected to a multimeter set on ohms.
> Positive or red lead to the postive terminal and negative or black
> lead to
> the negative terminal of the meter.
>
> The 4,000 volts when applied, however, causes the meter to deflect
> incorrectly.  When I tune the transmitter, I can see that the meter
> pin does
> vary but it will not move from the left of zero.
>
> The question that I would have is whether or not anyone else has
> experienced
> this problem, ruling out static electricity on the meter face.
>
> I did remove the meter to clean both the inside and out of the glass
> but
> that did not help.
>
> One day the Collins 20V-3 worked perfectly and the next day, as they
> say,
> the plate current meter went "nuts."
>
> By the way, the R.F. ampere meter is acting strange as well.  The
> needle
> quivers as if it is charged with static electricity.
>
> Could it be that the meter panel which is insulated phenolic needs to
> be
> discharged somehow.  I am lost at this point.
>
> I am inclined to believe - as so many of you suggested - that the
> meter or
> meters have contracted static electricity.
>
> Thanks
>
> Thanks to all who have replied.
>
> Back to the drawing board as they say.
>
> Dave, W3ST
> Publisher of the Collins Journal
> Secretary to the Collins Radio Association
> www.collinsra.com
> Nets:  3805 Khz, Monday/Wednesdays 8 PM EDST
>           14250 Khz Saturday, 12 Noon EDST

>>> current.  I switched this lead to the negative post and the meter