[AMRadio] Re: Low Power AM nets

ne1s ne1s at neandertech.com
Mon Jan 3 12:35:16 EST 2005

Hi Al,

With QRP AM, it's not so much a matter of what frquency, but band
conditions. You are unlikely to have much luck, for example, after dark on
75M or after early afternoon on 40M. But during mornings on 40M, or daylight
hours on 75M, you should be able to make many enjoyable contacts with your
DX-60. Don't worry about being "ridiculed;" anyone doing that isn't worth
worrying about anyway. But it would be considered a bit inconsiderate to
make others try to pull you through the mud when conditions are not
conducive to low-power operation. Anywhere in the fone bands is fair game,
but you are most likely to find other AMers to talk to in the so-called "AM
windows" (let's not start another thread on this, though!). Look between 860
 - 3890 on 75M and 7285 - 7295 on 40M. There is also often AM activity on
3825 and 3837. The AWA AM net meets Sundays at 4:30PM EST on 3837 - please
join us.

A bunch of us on the east coast (myself included) have built and regularly
operate AM transmitters in the 1-10W output class.

 -Larry/NE1S