[AMRadio] Low Power AM nets

Rbethman rbethman at comcast.net
Mon Jan 3 18:56:02 EST 2005

Alfred,

    I am notorious for running my DX-60 on 40m.  I get GREAT results!
On a few VERY rare instances, I run it into a pair of 3-500Zs.

    I get beautiful reports!

    As has been said, band conditions are ALL.

    I worked on mine performing the WC3K (SK), mods.  Bill was REALLY
into improving screen modulation.  He even came up with a PTT circuit, a
modulation indicator circuit, AND putting the power/modulation control
on the front panel - unobtrusively!

    I believe almost all of his mods, save perhaps the PTT, made it into
ER Magazine.

Bob N0DGN

P.S.  That is 40m AM in the AM!

Schichler, Alfred wrote:

>I was wondering if there are any nets, or just parts of the 75 or 40 meter
>bands where I could find anyone on low power AM, preferably
>controlled-carrier, screen-grid modulation.
>
>I recently got a DX-40 / HQ-100 AM Station on the air, for nostalgic
>purposes, but it seems like the only AM stations I usually hear are ones
>with high-power, high-quality plate modulated AM, and I don't want my puny
>signal to be just lost in the crowd or ridiculed. (Not that that would
>necessarily happen, but it seems like a possibility). I haven't listened at
>all hours of the day or anything, but I haven't found what I'm looking for.
>
>I would appreciate any info on this subject.
>
>Al, NE2D

                       Bob Bethman - N0DGN
+-------------------------------+----------------------------------+
| N0DGN AMRadio Manassas, VA    |    REAL Tube Radio and AM        |
+-------------------------------+----------------------------------+
|       Manassas Radio - Home of Homemade Kielbasa & Pirogi        |
+-------------------------------+----------------------------------+
| rbethman(at)comcast.net   \\ ~ ~ //      signal does *NOT* mean  |
|                           (/ @ @ /)      that everything is OK " |
|               <http://home.comcast.net/~rbethman>                |
| 1 BC-610I w/BC-614I,1 T-213/GRC-26 w/BC614I 1 '51 Collins R-390A |
|  SP-600/NR Type 159, Heath DX-60, Apache, Mohawk, SX-101, HT-32A |
|           Amateur Astronomer - Celestron Nexstar 8               |
|             12" f5 Dob coming soon!  Being built                 |
|                          Meade ETX-60                            |
|           38 Deg 46'48.62"' N - 77 Deg 28'26.89" W               |
|   Opinions expressed are that of my own and do not necessarily   |
|         coincide with or represent those of ANYONE else          |