[AMRadio] Safe Metering for Blind Operators

DOXEMF at aol.com DOXEMF at aol.com
Mon Jan 3 19:22:28 EST 2005

Hello,
The Johnson Viking II also uses negative return shunts
for both the final and the modulator current takeoff point.

A word of warning tho. If the ground or B minus side of the shunt lifts in this type of connection the meter will most likely be pulled up to the B+ voltage relative to chassis.
My VK II with it's small loops of Ni Chrome for shunts
did exactly that when whatever treatment that was given the unsolderable NiChrome let loose.

I have often seen panel meters offered on E-Bay and at HamFests that had at least one adjustable setpoint pointer that activated a contact closure when reached.The difficulty would be in finding the right meter resistance for the application.

Bill Courtright KB3DKS/1