[AMRadio] l00p antenna

fkamp at comcast.net fkamp at comcast.net
Sun Jan 9 13:25:57 EST 2005

Geoff wrote:

> The question is, is it going to matter, in a delta loop antenna,
> where it's fed?  I understand about changing the polarity from
> vertical to Horizontal, if you feed a Delta say, in the corner of
> the loop.  Would I be better off feeding the antenna in the
> middle of the bottom flat stretch of wire, or continue with
> feeding the antenna at the highest apex?
>
> I know experience is the best teacher, and more than likely the
> answer will be "try both, and see which one works best for you"
> and in all likelihood, that's probably what I'm going to do.  But
> if someone already has been down that road and has come up with
> some conclusive evidence as to why one way is better than the
> other, I'm all ears.
> Thanks for yours.

I have used a 40 meter right angle delta loop for several years now.
The feed line is coax attached about 30 percent up from one of the lower
apexes of the triangle.  This is supposed to be the optimum feed for
vertical polarization.

I have also feed it with open wire line at the center of the lower wire
section and used it as an all band antenna with tuner.  I understand
this setup favors horizontal polarization.

The antenna works well in both configurations with the vertical setup
being more effective when trying to work DX.  However, both
configurations work better than the inverted vee that I used before I
installed the loop.

My suggestion would be to set it up so that it can be used in both
configurations.  I would think that shorting across the feed lines at
one or the other feed points would allow the loop to be used in either
configuration.  However, I have not tried this and am not sure how the
unused feedline would effect the antenna since it is still connected to
the loop.

Regards,
Frank Kamp