[AMRadio] Ham Radio Question on the Clark Howard Show

Mike Sawyer w3slk at uplink.net
Sun Jan 9 21:36:30 EST 2005

The one thing I would do is correct the fallacy that just because it was
coming through the phone lines doesn't necessarily mean it is AM. DC
rectification can take place on a slightly oxidized connection, making it a
detector stage. Your phone does the rest. I used to get complaints when I
would run AM, SSB (whatever a HW-101 would put out, maybe 100W PEP? ), and
RTTY. I didn't believe it until I picked up the phone and heard the 'diddle'
of my SSB rig running in RTTY. Don't assume it is an AM station however, I
wouldn't put it pass a CB op running a 'footwarmer'.
Mike(y)
W3SLK