[AMRadio] AM Amps

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. bratcher at pdq.net
Tue Jan 11 11:43:26 EST 2005

At 04:31 AM 1/11/2005, you wrote:
>73s to all,
>regarding Dick's problem i'd try to match 1st the Ranger's output pwr with
>the needed input pwr of one of the amps.The choice of the amp depends on the
>output pwr someone wants to "push on the air".Saw a Ranger there in Ebay and
>think it's using something like 6L6s or anyway not high power output tubes.
>"Playing"with the outputs B+,or grid HV or grid pollution resistance,in
>order to reduce or increase the output pwr and match it with amp's input
>it's easy.Resistances for the B+ and grid HV and a meter to measure.The
>greatest the 2nd grid resistance is in value the worst.It's "pushing hard on
>limits" the tube depending on the B+ and grid voltages also.
>Hope it helps,
>Chris SV1DAF.

If I wanted more than 100w of AM (out of my Collins 23V-3) then I'd use it
for carrier only then plate modulate an amplifier with a modulation
transformer (if I could find one) plus a speech amp. Then I'd run the
maximum legal AM power of 375 watts.

But then I run AM on the KW-1 (pure DSB AM) & sometimes the KWS-1 (which
does carrier plus one sideband) at the 375w limit. I'd prefer to do AM at a
kilowatt but thats not legal anymore.

I wonder how many AM'ers run more than the legal 375 watts? I've thought
about it...