[AMRadio] AM Amps

Darrell, WA5VGO hbrnut at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 11 19:03:55 EST 2005

At 04:21 PM 1/11/2005 -0500, you wrote:

>In a message dated 1/11/05 12:14:43 PM, ronnie.hull at glowbugs.com writes:
>

> > well all I can say is it works.. works well as a matter of fact, and has
> > been for 6 years :)
> > I typically run between 350 and 400 watts of carrier every day. It looks
> > great on the scope. Modulation envelope is perfect. 100% modulation. In 6
> > years Ive only lost one tube, and I accidently broke that one.
> >

>I have to agree with Gary.   You're seeing 1600 watts PEP and 400W of carrier
>OUT with a pair of GG 813s???   Does not compute!   Just curious, are you
>talking about 400W INPUT power to the linear under carrier only condx
>maybe?   If
>so, this would work out to about 133W carrier OUT and each 813 dissipating
>about 133W which would make more sense.
>
>Dennis D. W7QHO
>Glendale, CA

I'm with Dennis and Gary. To run a linear amplifier at 375 watts of carrier
and 100% modulation, you will need around 800 watts of plate dissipation.
For a short time a number of years ago, I tried running an AF-68 and a
4-1000A linear amplifier. I could never get more than around 450 watts of
carrier and stay linear............I didn't need a heater in the shack either.

73,
Darrell, WA5VGO

73,
Darrell, WA5VGO