[AMRadio] AM Amps

Geoff w5omr at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Tue Jan 11 22:57:49 EST 2005

>> I'm not sure you can get more than around 1kW PEP output of a pair of
>> 813's... and probably more like 800w.  (3) in parallel would be a
>> different story, though.
>>
>> 73 = Best Regards,
>> -Geoff/W5OMR
>
> I would say you are pretty much on the mark there. I have a pair of
> 813's in GG also. I only run them at around 2500 volt and can get about
> 650 watts max out with 100 watts drive if I remember right.
>
> I ran them well over 3000 volts many years ago and got quite a bit more
> out of them but didn't have a decent watt meter then so I don't know
> exactly.
> 1000 watts out seems doable but they will be running around 1600 watts
> or more input. They will turn pretty red. Even on SSB at that power.

*whew*  We agree on -something-  ;-)

But I'm enjoying the discussion.  I may not be the most
articulate individual around, and I'm -far- from reminding anyone
of someone whom posses articulatino, but when it comes to someone
saying "375w is the limit to run to get 1500w pep output", I
can't swallow that.  It's a true statement, if you were to apply
a sine-wave (at an arbitrary rate... say, 1kc) to 100%, but as
it's been said before, we don't -talk- in sine-waves.

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR