[AMRadio] AM Amps

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Fri Jan 14 12:24:41 EST 2005

3500 watts pep output would require a carrier of a maximum of 875 watts
if it were 100% modulated.
If the amp runs 65% efficiency at full output that means that the
efficiency must drop to 1/2 that at carrier level or around 32% for
proper AM operation.

At 875 watts out with 32% efficiency would require an input power of
2734 watts for carrier. Subtract the 875 watts from that and you are
left with about 1860 watts of plate dissipation power! That doesn't
sound like any kind of CCS class B amplifier to me for a single 4-1000.

Maybe a pair of 4-1000's?

73
Gary  K4FMX