[AMRadio] AM Amps

Geoff w5omr at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Fri Jan 14 13:21:38 EST 2005

James M. Walker wrote:
> Yep,
> that is what the meters showed approximately 67% by my reckoning,
> the 5KW dummy load gets warm only when you turn it up. There is
> not enough drive from the DX-100 on AM to run it at the 3.5KW level
> mentioned in the article. Ah, I might also mention that the article rig is
> continuous tuning from 3.5 to 21 Mhz. Whereas this unit is 1.6 to 30 Mhz.
> with subsequent heavier components. Or following the Harris philosophy
> "Go Big, or Stay Home".
>
> The monitor scope only required that I put a one turn loop on the end of
> the 10X probe to monitor the waveform, cool!
> Jim
> WB2FCN

Is that like saying

"Life is too short for QRP.
If you've got it, flaunt it." ?

I had this discussion on the air this morning with some South
Texas locals.

Let me set this story up (it's a short transmission, and I'll
listen for breakers afterwards ;-))

I'm headed to K5SWK's tomorrow afternoon to help him get his 75m
antenna back in the air.  There were some guys in the round table
this morning that were saying that I shouldn't worry about
getting Otis' antenna up at 60 plus feet, because their 25 and
30' tall antenns worked just fine.

I said "let me get this straight... you're running a rig that
cranks out 250+ watts and your signal is weak here, but yet you
tell me I'm head-and-shoulders above all noises and I'm running
100W and a 60'ish foot tall antenna.  Yet, you only want Otis'
antenna up at 25 or 30'?

(I'm still scratching my head on that one)

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR