[AMRadio] ARRL's Threatened Bandwidth Petition - action taken?

Merz Donald S merz.ds at mellon.com
Fri Jan 14 16:33:40 EST 2005

Whoa...much confusion here. Yes, see QST Feb 2005 p. 83.

1. It was not an ARRL initiative. It was a petition filed with the FCC by 3 hams who are not ARRL officers and who have no ARRL affiliation that I know of.

2. The FCC denied the petition saying that its current rules were adequate.

3. The FCC's response specifically stated that "the petitioners failed to show that there is 'a particular problem' with stations using AM."

This was an FCC action on a petition not initiated by the ARRL, but simply reported in the pages of QST.

As far as I can tell, the ARRL supports the use of AM to the extent that you would expect for that tiny niche of their members who care about AM. Correctly, the ARRL recognizes that AM is not the issue. The issue is whether Powell's FCC will sell the bands out from underneath us to the highest bidder. For some hams, this sellout has already happened in the form of BPL. For the rest of us, AM or other, the wolf is at the door. And the ARRL is the only voice we have.

73, Don Merz, N3RHT