[AMRadio] ARRL's Threatened Bandwidth Petition - action taken?

peter markavage manualman at juno.com
Fri Jan 14 17:44:37 EST 2005

He might be referring to this Don:
from "THE ARRL LETTER" dated August 24, 2004

ARRL SEEKS COMMENT ON DRAFT "BANDWIDTH" PETITION

The ARRL wants members' comments on a planned petition to the FCC seeking
to regulate amateur subbands by bandwidth rather than by mode. The ARRL
Board of Directors adopted the petition's guiding principle--to create a
regulatory environment more accommodating to newer technologies--two
years
ago, and it wrapped up its review of a draft petition in late July.

"The main objective is to make appropriate provision for digital modes in
the HF amateur bands, while preserving amateurs' prerogatives to use the
traditional modes," said ARRL CEO David Sumner, K1ZZ. "Regulation by
Bandwidth" is the title of Sumner's "It Seems to Us . . ." editorial in
September QST.

The full text is here http://www.arrl.org/arrlletter/04/0827/

Pete, wa2cwa