[AMRadio]4-1000A INFO and Handbook

James M. Walker chejmw at acsu.buffalo.edu
Fri Jan 14 22:44:21 EST 2005

Well sports fans,
I am at home now and have the Radio Handbook info if you are still
trying to figure out what the rig actually looks like. Also if you have
the handbook it is the Fourteenth Edition dated 1956. The page number is
580, and the article is titled "A 4-1000A Pi-Network Amplifier. The
first
paragraph goes as follows:

The amplifier illustrated in figures 45 through 49 is of g r e a t
academic
interest to amateurs, although the power rating of 3.5 kilowatts is in
excess of the maximum level permitted by the federal Communications
Commission. Custom built for commercial applications in the 3.5 Mc. to
to 25 Mc. range, this unit exhibits many interesting features that may
well be applied to amplifiers of more modest rating.

So, I built one heavier than the book, but with most of the same ratings
for power levels and power supply requirements. The HV supply is
adjustable
from 0 -4200 VDC at 1.5 amps, controlled with a 0 - 140 VAC 40 Amp
variac.

The RF section sports a 500 uuF vacuum variable along with a 1500 uuF
volt
ratings at 10 KV and 30 KV respectively.

A very nice little test fixture, to say the least.
Now back to your regularly scheduled program!
Jim
WB2FCN

at