[AMRadio] Ham Radio Question on the Clark Howard Show

Jim candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Sun Jan 16 09:26:00 EST 2005

Hi Group,

    The thread about telephone interference has about run it's course.
Interestingly, another ham and I disagree on the topic. This revolves over
whether we as licensed hams can legally transmit when we know we are
interfering with a FCC Part 15 certified device. On my phone, it says the
following:

"This device complies with part 15 of the FCC rules. Operation is subject to
the following two conditions:

1.) This device may not cause harmful interference, and
2.) This device must accept any interference received, including
interference that may cause undesired operation."

I try to separate the legal from the ethical as follows:

"Very few if any Ham would knowingly do this. The complexity of RF radiation
is high, and the susceptibility of various home consumer electronics varies
widely. There is no way to know what will happen until you try."

The other ham (KA7DCQ) says:

"If I may interject a comment. We as licensed radio operators are not
allowed to do anything that knowingly and I underscore knowingly will cause
harmful interference to other equipment."

I didn't state it on the thread, but my take is similar to the above but
would be reworded as follows:

We as licensed radio operators are not allowed to do anything that knowingly
and I underscore knowingly will cause harmful interference to other licensed
services, and maybe NON Part15 FCC certified devices. If you have a Part 15
device that is experiencing interference, call the manufacturer, or contact
the FCC. If you want my assistance, I'd be glad to help, however this is not
my problem; it is yours. Go to the FCC website, and download.....

Who is correct???

http://clarkhoward.com

Click on message boards, then technology, and look for my call letters,
wd5jko

or:

http://clarkhoward.com/p/boards/ch/postlist.pl?Cat=&Board=clarkhowardtechnol
ogy&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5