[AMRadio] Ham Radio Question on the Clark Howard Show

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Sun Jan 16 11:11:15 EST 2005

Having to respond to complaints of telephone and RFI to broadcast devices in
the past, I had to address the actions required of me to resolve the
problems.

In 1995 I had neighbors who experienced telephone interference and
complained.  At that time, the FCC website addressed the telephone issue
with documentation telling consumers that the FCC would not longer be
involved with the process.  The stated reason was that the proliferation of
devices that were susceptible to RF interference from legally licensed radio
services were so great that the FCC could not solve the problem

The FCC asked that the amateur station, if involved, attempt to assist the
complaining party with the issue but did not require any action other than
providing information on how to solve the problem.   The FCC site also made
it clear that they would not involve themselves with Part 15 devices unless
the device was causing harmful interference to a licensed station.  Recently
the FCC has warned an owner of an electric wheel chair charging device that
the owner must eliminate the interference to an Amateur Station or face
possible fines and sanctions.

In past years, the FCC has required companies who manufacture devices that
emit radiation that has not performed tests to meet Part 15, to do so.  In
all my dealings with the FCC they have maintained that licensed services
enjoy statutory protection from non regulated services.  If you doubt this,
read the FCC enforcement letters posted on the ARRL website each week.

Personally, I feel, we as amateurs should assist others in deterring where
problems are generated, but should not obligate ourselves to repairs of
these devices, to do so, incurs legal liability.

73  Jim
W5JO