[AMRadio] Physical Reality of Sidebands

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Mon Jan 17 12:07:28 EST 2005

Jim Wilhite wrote:
> Out of curiosity Gary, where do you think the multiplication occurs?  In
> the plate of the final(s), at the juncture of the plate and output
> network, or in the final network?
>
> I have pondered this one and have an opinion, but would like yours and
> others opinions.
>
> 73  Jim
> W5JO

Hi Jim,

I should have figured you would come up with that one. :>)
In an oscillator it is really the tuned circuit that is the oscillator
and the tube is just a switch that keeps the oscillation going in the
tank. Same for the output tank on an amplifier. The tube is a switch
that excites the tank.
However with modulation you can do it with a diode and a resistor for
the load so I would have to say that modulation takes place as a
function of the switch action. But without the load there is no current
so nothing happens. So it seems it may occur at the junction of the load
and the switch?

73
Gary  K4FMX