[AMRadio] ARRL's Threatened Bandwidth Petition - action taken?

peter markavage manualman at juno.com
Tue Jan 18 19:45:01 EST 2005

Don:
You're mixing apples and oranges here. These are two different
activities. It's also not clear to me, your statement "Putting these two
actions together is interesting". That hasn't been done, nor, to my
knowledge, was the intent of the ARRL "proposal for review" to the
general amateur population. ARRL's proposal is a much broader scope of
subbands by bandwidth "realignment". Actually, under the original ARRL
proposal, dated August 24, 2004, the AM community was targeted with a
max. of 9KHz bandwidth. However, other things within the proposal, were
met with dismay and concern within the amateur service. I don't believe
there has been any statement yet from the ARRL on the future of this
proposed proposal. Since the ARRL Board of Directors is meeting this
coming weekend, Jan. 21-22, this proposed proposal and comments received,
are expected to be discussed and its future decided.
Quote from the Board of Directors Meeting Notice:
"In addition to considering and approving a budget for the new fiscal
year, the directors are expected to talk about the status of the League's
grassroots lobbying initiative, modifications to the ARRL's pending
proposal to regulate Amateur Radio subbands by bandwidth rather than by
emission mode, and the anticipated Petition for Reconsideration to the
Broadband over Power Line (BPL) Report and Order the FCC adopted October
14."

To read the full Board Notice on the Meeting, go here:
http://www.remote.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/01/18/2/?nc=1

I wouldn't close the door on the proposal for subbands by bandwidth
rather than by emission mode yet. The ARRL has made no formal statement
that it's backing away from taking this to the next level.

Pete, wa2cwa