[AMRadio] Repainting an ID plate

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 10:26:04 EST 2005

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 20:17:03 -0400, David Knepper <cra at floodcity.net> wrote:
> What is the "secret" of repainting an identification plate with slightly
> raised lettering.  For example,
> an R-390 or R-388 I.D., etc. plate.  How to you wipe off the paint so the
> lettering is devoid of paint.
>
> Must be a simple way of doing this.

There is: just spray the tag lightly, enough to cover it but not too
thick. Better to use too little than too much. After the paint gets
almost dry, simply wipe carefully across the top surface with a paper
towel or clean, non-fluffy rag dampened with turpentine. Sometimes it
takes a couple of tries to get it right, but it's easy enough to
repeat. Might take a couple of attempts to get the density you desire.
After a few tags, you'll be a pro at it. I find it one of the easier
details to complete during a restoration.

Whatever you do, resist the urge to use anything abrasive. Many older
tags have a VERY thin plating over the actual brass metal tag, which
is easily removed. Even buffing with #0000 steel wool can damage the
coating and leave you with less-than-attractive results (unless you
prefer brass over chrome lettering).

Speaking of tags, does anyone know off the top of their head the
correct colors used for the Collins emblems? Some are very red, while
others have a more 'salmon' color. Some years back, I recall someone
saying that the lighter color was the same color used on GM fleet
vehicles in the 60s, or something of that nature. The emblem I need to
repaint is the salmon color, but it would be nice to know any and all
of the colors considered correct or accurate.

Thanks, and good luck with the tag, Dave -

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ