[AMRadio] Stealth Antennas?

Bob Macklin macklinbob at msn.com
Mon Jan 24 15:38:02 EST 2005

I live in a senior apartment where I CANNOT have an outdoor antenna. So I
have a wire around the wall at the base of the ceiling. It is currently 1/4W
40M antenna.

I did buy the ARRL book on "Stealh Radio".

HF mobile antennas use loading coils to make the antenna look longer. The
better one us a coil in the center of the antenna.

Some apartment antennas are nothing but a mobile whip with a base loading
coil. Why BASE LOADING?

But the real question is why not use a loading coil at the center of a long
wire or dipole to make it look longer? The original Heath Antenna Tuner was
just a loading coil("L" section) that allowed use of a SHORT wire with the
small Heath transmitters. The DX-20 through DX-40.

Bob Macklin
K5MYJ/7
Seattle, Wa.

"REAL RADIOS GLOW IN THE DARK"