[AMRadio] Stealth Antennas?

Jim candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Mon Jan 24 23:30:20 EST 2005

Bob,

  A couple of thoughts on this indoor antenna idea. It is true that you
might hit upon a combination that radiates "fairly" well on some bands. With
a 100 watt rig (20-25 watts AM), your good for some contacts so long as your
receiver can hear amateur signals. More than likely you will be hearing
every FCC Part 15 device, and DSL, BPL, cable Modems, computers, light
dimmers, TV sets, touch switch lamps, etc. that are in the complex that will
be spraying spurious crap all over the spectrum. Even if you do hear
amateurs, your going to "interfere" with these same devices like crazy, and
even though it won't be technically your fault, a whole heard of folk will
be after you like a pack of dogs.

  One way to insure that you will be hated is to use a higher power rig like
a Globe King 500B, or a rice box into a SB-220 and run AM! CW is best at
lower power; SSB is hard to understand, but AM, well forget it. They will
quickly say, that is Bob Simenstad in apt 307. Get ready for some heavy duty
door knocking. When you get on, EVERY PC speaker, and many Dolby digital 5.1
surround systems will power up from your RF, and emit your voice into your
neighbor's apartments. Many a ham has had his spouse side with the neighbors
too. So that's something else you won't be getting. The PC speaker problem
means you cannot wait until midnight anymore to operate. It will act as an
alarm clock and wake everybody up.

  Bob, I don't mean to burst your bubble about a HF apartment ham station. I
would however lower your expectations, and keep your operating to just a few
hours per week, and the power below 100 watts.

	Alternatively, more than one ham with an effective HF mobile set-up parks
the car near their apartment, and late at night they run outside with some
coax, and connect it to the mobile antenna on their vehicle. You could also
make this wireless, and use the car as a remote transmitter. If you do the
remote approach, then you could conceivably park the car away and on top of
a nearby hill.

Regards, and Good Luck,
Jim Candela
WD5JKO