[AMRadio] Stealth Antennas?

Jim candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Tue Jan 25 07:29:54 EST 2005

Bob,

    I recently moved from Austin to Round Rock Texas, and live in a home.
The property is larger, and there are lots of big trees to hang wires off.
That is the good news. The bad news is that the area is filled with spurious
noise sources, and like you the 80m "AM window" is filled with some nasty
"buzz saw" that is nearly full scale and is relentless 24/7. I see the need
to start hunting down the noise sources.

	This is where I am unsure of the best PR method as a ham to approach
neighbors. Do I carry a RF sniffer of some sort, and knock on doors asking,
"Hi I am the ham next store, and I am setting up a ham station. My receiver
is picking up noise that appears to be coming from your house. Can I come in
and look room to room, and try to find the problem?" "Oh by the way, once I
start transmitting, all these FCC part 15 certified devices you have will
more than likely inadvertently pick up my radio transmissions, and this may
be bothersome to you. This will be your problem, not mine. If you have a
problem, I can advise you on possible solutions; otherwise here is the FCC
phone number, and URL for their web page based interference information."

So how far does one get with this before the door is slammed, and you have a
life-long enemy? What approach do others take?

I envy those who live in the country, and sympathize with those in your and
my situation.

Good luck Bob!
Regards,
Jim