[AMRadio] Virgin ARC-5s!

Bob Macklin macklinbob at msn.com
Wed Jan 26 14:00:14 EST 2005

Todd,

It's been 50 years since I have worked with an ARC-5. And yes I used ARC-5
as a generic term. In the 1950s I was very familiar with them. We could get
all the receivers, transmitters, and modulators we wanted. We were also able
to get some of the racks. But the control heads and other accessories were
hard to come by. The tuning knob with the spline was esspeccilly hard to
find.

We converted the units to 12V filiments and most often converted the power
plug to an octal plug. The units most often just sat on the desk as a stand
alone pair. But in the 50s they were usable. But as the band became more
crowded they became dificult to use. The tuning was fine for AM but
difficult for CW or SSB. But they were made for use in a service where
selectivity was not a requirement.

Has anyone seen the VHF transmiter and reciever. There was also a 200MC
reciever used by the Navy as a beacon reciever.

Bob Macklin
K5MYJ/7
Seattle, Wa.

"REAL RADIOS GLOW IN THE DARK"