[AMRadio] VIRGIN ARC 5's

Bob Macklin macklinbob at msn.com
Thu Jan 27 18:56:27 EST 2005

Hi Larry,

I am originally from San Mateo, Ca. about 25 mi south of San Francico. In
the 60s there were 2 surplus stores in SF that had stacks of ARC-5 equipment
and the 28MC tank radios. And the stuff was cheap.

I joined the USAF in 1952 and the ARC-5s were still used in some aircraft
like the T-6 and C-45. I got sucked into ham radio in 1957 while stationed
in Austin, Tx. Through AF MARS we could get all the ARC-5s we wanted.

With the apperent renewed interest in tupe gear and AM operation I am
thinking seriously about acquiring some ARC-5s for portable operation.

I just wish they were as easy to get as they were in 1960. On eBay you
really don't know what you will get until it arrives.

Bob Macklin
K5MYJ/7
Seattle, Wa.

"REAL RADIOS GLOW IN THE DARK"