[AMRadio] power ratings

kenw2dtc kenw2dtc at comcast.net
Tue Jul 12 15:39:45 EDT 2005

I've been using linear amps in AM service for a few year now.  With current
band conditions, it seems to me that a goal should be at least 300 watts of
carrier.  Sure you can make contacts with 25-50 watts but for consistant
contacts, the higher power is the best.   When guys ask me about linears, I
usually advise that they shouldn't waste time on any linear with a tube or
tubes with less than 1000 watts of plate dissapation.  One of the best off
the shelf amps is the Ameritron AL-1200 and even with that amp, when I reach
1500 watts PEP on AM the scope will start to show flattopping above that
level.  In addition, the smaller off the shelf SSB amps do not have the
necessary beefy power supply to do AM operations at the rated PEP ratings.
73,
Ken W2DTC