[AMRadio] power ratings

kenw2dtc kenw2dtc at comcast.net
Tue Jul 12 20:30:22 EDT 2005

"Ken, as I read the rules, we are only allowed to run 375 watts carrier.
With 100% modulation this will give us 1500 watts pep which is the max
output allowed."

*******Don, You are correct about the 1500 watts PEP.  It could also be
derived by 600 watts of carrier with much less than 100% modulation.  There
are also schemes where the carrier is almost 1000 watts and it is modulated
downward at nearly 100% and still get the 1500 watts PEP.  Another comment
about linears in AM service.  Those who do the math and run an SSB linear
with the PEP equal to 4 times the carrier sometimes miss the calculation of
the male voice which will usually modulate higher than 100% unless limited
in the audio section.  Thus many SSB amps do not have the headroom for good
AM.