[AMRadio] Oldie but goodie on eBay...Raytheon RA 1000 AM

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 09:21:40 EDT 2005

On 7/14/05, KC4QLP at aol.com <KC4QLP at aol.com> wrote:

> _Raytheon   RA 1000 AM Broadcast transmitter_
>
> You don't see many of these in ham  service...or AM broadcast service anymore
> for that fact.

Neat rig. My first attempt at obtaining a BC transmitter was to
retreive one of these from a station where it had sat unused and in
disrepair for years. The station was owned by a family who leased the
station out, and they wanted it gone. So away I went, with toolbox in
hand, to case the unit and see what was involved.

After arriving to look it over, I was led by one of the DJs to a dark,
back room where this enormous box sat blocking out most of the light.
I reemember being amazed at the size of the thing and the fact that I
could easily stand inside while looking things over (I'm 6'2", there
was still plenty of room). Found a really neat horseshoe shaped
relay/switch that had been removed, sitting on a shelf next to the
transmitter. As I was reinstalling it (so it wouldn't get lost), the
station manager appeared and started asking questions. He was rather
surprised that I was actually planning to remove the thing, since he
had already given to a fellow for doing some work on the other
transmitters.

Manager called property owner and they got into it over the phone.
Needless to say, I slipped away during the excitement. When the owner
called later and asked how much I was willing to pay for it, my
response was a couple hundred dollars since it was pretty rough (most
all tubes missing, old caps, beat up, etc). He didn't feel it was
worth hassling with the manager over for anything less than a few
grand, so we let it slide. Settled for a 300G instead, 1/4 of the
power but almost the same size.

It really is a nice looking rig in its two-tone tan and brown paint
scheme and chrome trim. Too bad it doesn't have a viewing window.
Wouldn't mind getting one to play with, but not for that price. When
you figure in the distance, transportation costs, manpower and other
needs, it gets pretty pricey. This is before conversion, too.
Hopefully someone local will grab it up, sounds like time is short.
Electrical condition and spares are a big plus. $800-$1000 might be
more realistic locally, less if they want to get something out of it
fast instead of letting it get scrapped.

de Todd/'Boomer'  KA1KAQ