[AMRadio] Low Level Modulation in Gonsets

Jim candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Mon Jul 18 22:27:46 EDT 2005

I have two G-76's, and a story to tell.

   On one of them, the internal VFO was worse than usual in that it would
hop around like FSK. The problem was the tuning capacitor rotor contact to
ground. I spent days messing with the sliding contacts (before my short
range vision flew the coup), and other aspects of that tuning condenser. At
one point I was so PO'd that I took channel locks and mashed it as tight as
I could while venting my frustration. As expected all the plates were mashed
together since I willingly destroyed the condenser in a fit of rage. This
was not a high moment in my ham radio career. I looked to see what I had
done, and on impulse I grabbed a large flat blade screwdriver, and pried the
stator plates the other way. I did this without care, or precision since my
anger still had not subsided. Then to my astonishment, the plates looked
aligned! Further inspection with good light, and the plates were perfectly
aligned. So I turned on the G-76, and to my surprise the FSK habit had went
away, and the dang thing was stable!

A True Story!

Regards,
Jim Candela
WD5JKO

"Sometimes throwing a wrench at the car will make it run!"