[AMRadio] NNNN

Geoff w5omr at satx.rr.com
Sat Jul 23 22:23:44 EDT 2005

Robert Lawson wrote:

> Fellows,
>
> Where does the text "NNNN" originate (radio history) in text messages
> below the "signature" line? I see NNNN used sometimes, depending on
> the particular NWS forecaster, with the National Weather Service text
> messages about active tropical storms/hurricanes (which I might add,
> seem to be frequenting my area lately HI).  Also there is sometimes
> the "$$" being used along with the "NNNN"
>
> Just wondering.
>
> Regards,
>
> Robert WPE4FGR W4RL Pensacola Florida

a hold-over from CW traffic-handling days that meant "No more" when
passing traffic.

Teletype (RTTY) operators carried it over, when they started pounding on
keyboards
somewhere in the '50's, when passing traffic over ham-radio was still
'en vogue'.

today, when you hear the packet bursts of the Emergency Broadcast System
alerting
you to the fact of either a Test, or an actual emergency, the 3 short
bursts at the end are
N N N (no more)

That's about the best I can do, for a description.

Anyone else?

---
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR