[AMRadio] Speaker

zuu6k at juno.com zuu6k at juno.com
Fri Jul 29 20:33:09 EDT 2005

Herb;

I get my external speakers at thrift stores, i.e. Salvation Army,
Goodwill industries, St Joseph's, etc. You can get a wide variety of
sizes from a single speaker in a bookcase enclosure to console speakers
with a woofer, mid-range and tweeter in a 30" high enclosure. Prices
range from $1.50 each to $25 for a pair. Re impedance: most are 8 ohm
which will work ok on a 4 ohm radio, or if you want a perfect match,
parallel 2 each 8 ohm speakers to give you 4 ohms. Watch the phasing. I
bought one pair of bookshelf speakers that had a 4" low range and a 4"
high range in the same enclosure. I threw away the 2 high range ones and
put both low range in the same enclosure with a transformer and switch.
Now I can select 4, 8, or 500 ohms. I use it as a test speaker for
working on boat anchors. Good luck.

73, Ed K6UUZ