[AMRadio] Antenna slip up mast

John Lawson jpl15 at panix.com
Sat Jul 30 13:57:40 EDT 2005

An installation using a Lowe's telescoping mast:

   I'm using one for my VHF/UHF stick (Diamond) - I dug a 4' deep 30" round
hole (the hardest part of the Job) for the base. I got a 5' piece of
pre-threaded 1 3/4"(IIRC - it has to just fit into the bottom section of
the mast) pipe and a couple of bags of "quickcrete" - the fast-setting
cement meant for fence posts and the like. I cut a foot off one end of the
pipe, and put the remaining 4' in the hole, threaded end up, with 6" or so
above grade, tacked it to a 2x4 to keep it vertical and plumb (used a
plumb-bob: real hi-tech here). Dumped in the concrete mix, poured in the
required amount of water (abt 3 gallons) and went off to find lunch.
Returning from lunch, I got busy mounting the Antennae (and weather
station senders, and a DishTV dish) to the mast. I also used some
stainless steel hose clamps to 'assist' the rather cheap set-screw type
mast section clamps.

   After a couple of hours, the concrete had set up completly. I threaded a
standard 'pipe union' (female, or large portion) onto the top of the pipe.
(Note to self: next time use lots of Loctite or similar - I had to drill
and pin the threads later, to keep it from turning).

   I cut a slit across the bottom of the mast, forced the previously cut
off end of the threaded pipe into the mast (threads down), then drilled
and pinned the whole thing with a stainless 10-24 bolt and nut assembly,
and finished it with a pair of large stainless hose clamps.

   Now, the 'female' side of the pipe union goes on the base-pipe, and the
'male' section gets threaded onto the mast. (Note to self: next time,
Loctite, dammit!)  The mast goes up in the air, in my case gets clamped to
the second-story eaves with electrician's pipe clamps - et voila, c'est
fini.

    When it comes time to take it down, for additions, repairs, etc - just
loosen the top clamps and un-do the pipe union at the base - couldn't be
easier!

   It has been up there going on three years now, through the worst that
northwestern Nevada has to throw at it (80 mph + winds, t-storms, snow,
rain, summer 110 degrees) and so far, no signs of needing any TLC.

   Whole cost (not counting antennas, etc) was about $75 and four or so
hours.  Like I said, the worst part for me was digging the damn hole -
Your Milage May Vary.

   Cheers

John  KB6SCO