[AMRadio] Slip up mast for 80 meter antenna

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 30 14:06:42 EDT 2005

The last time I bought one of these was a few years ago to hold up my 10m
ground plane.  I think I got mine at the local electronics supply store.

Rohn used to sell some very nice heavily galvanised heavy duty ones, but
since they went out of business I am not sure if whoever is still selling
their product offers them.

I used to make a 1/4 wave 80m mast by adding two standard 10' tv masts to
the top of a 50 footer.  The 50 footer actually only extended up 45' because
some height was lost where the sections telescope together.  Two more 10'
sections on top made the whole thing a little over 60' tall.  It took a crew
of people to raise the thing, though.  One slipup and you have a giant steel
pretzel to dispose of.

The declining use of over-the-air tv reception, especially if the tv
stations are all forced to go digital in a couple of years, will likely make
telescoping tv masts as rare and hard to find as triode transmitting tubes.

Don/KYV