[AMRadio] Antenna slip up mast


Rev. Don Sanders innatehealing at bigplanet.com
Sat Jul 30 15:16:32 EDT 2005


I installed mine using a 4 foot piece of plastic pipe with 3 foot in the
ground. Dug hole with post hole digger. 1 foot above ground was inserted
inside bottom of mast about 6 inches. Drilled hole thru pipe using the
existing hole in bottom of mast. Installed a long bolt thru hole in mast
bottom and pipe. installed two nuts on bolt. Mast is held on 4X4 post
supporting the edge of the roof over my shack using a Rad Shack vent pipe
mast clamp. Very solid and easily removed for additional work. Standing on
the roof, easily pushed up by one person and secured by large cotter pin in
hole at each pipe top and adjustable hose clamp on each section just above
the top of the next lower section. Vhf antennas at top of 40 foot section
and
one corner of the 40 meter horiz loop at the 30 foot level using a pully and
support rope. Two guys of rope at the 30 foot level opposite the loop
antenna.

Healthfully yours,
                          DON W4BWS
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "John Lawson" <jpl15 at panix.com>
To: "Discussion of AM Radio" <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2005 12:57 PM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Antenna slip up mast


>
>
> An installation using a Lowe's telescoping mast:
>
>    I'm using one for my VHF/UHF stick (Diamond) - I dug a 4' deep 30"
round
> hole (the hardest part of the Job) for the base. I got a 5' piece of
> pre-threaded 1 3/4"(IIRC - it has to just fit into the bottom section of
> the mast) pipe and a couple of bags of "quickcrete" - the fast-setting
> cement meant for fence posts and the like. I cut a foot off one end of the
> pipe, and put the remaining 4' in the hole, threaded end up, with 6" or so
> above grade, tacked it to a 2x4 to keep it vertical and plumb (used a
> plumb-bob: real hi-tech here). Dumped in the concrete mix, poured in the
> required amount of water (abt 3 gallons) and went off to find lunch.
> Returning from lunch, I got busy mounting the Antennae (and weather
> station senders, and a DishTV dish) to the mast. I also used some
> stainless steel hose clamps to 'assist' the rather cheap set-screw type
> mast section clamps.
>
>    After a couple of hours, the concrete had set up completly. I threaded
a
> standard 'pipe union' (female, or large portion) onto the top of the pipe.
> (Note to self: next time use lots of Loctite or similar - I had to drill
> and pin the threads later, to keep it from turning).
>
>    I cut a slit across the bottom of the mast, forced the previously cut
> off end of the threaded pipe into the mast (threads down), then drilled
> and pinned the whole thing with a stainless 10-24 bolt and nut assembly,
> and finished it with a pair of large stainless hose clamps.
>
>    Now, the 'female' side of the pipe union goes on the base-pipe, and the
> 'male' section gets threaded onto the mast. (Note to self: next time,
> Loctite, dammit!)  The mast goes up in the air, in my case gets clamped to
> the second-story eaves with electrician's pipe clamps - et voila, c'est
> fini.
>
>     When it comes time to take it down, for additions, repairs, etc - just
> loosen the top clamps and un-do the pipe union at the base - couldn't be
> easier!
>
>    It has been up there going on three years now, through the worst that
> northwestern Nevada has to throw at it (80 mph + winds, t-storms, snow,
> rain, summer 110 degrees) and so far, no signs of needing any TLC.
>
>    Whole cost (not counting antennas, etc) was about $75 and four or so
> hours.  Like I said, the worst part for me was digging the damn hole -
> Your Milage May Vary.
>
>
>    Cheers
>
> John  KB6SCO
>
> ______________________________________________________________
> AMRadio mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/amradio
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.html
> Post: mailto:AMRadio at mailman.qth.net
>





More information about the AMRadio mailing list

This page last updated 22 Oct 2017.