[AMRadio] Speaker

Geoff w5omr at satx.rr.com
Sun Jul 31 15:48:17 EDT 2005

Joe A. Taylor wrote:

> I just couldn't resist.  When I was young I won lots of
> spelling bees.  Now I'm old and can't remember how
> many....   ;-)

I've won a few in school too... but that was 30 years ago.

Heck, they've made new words since I was there.

And, changed the rules... Spelling bee contestants now can ask to have
the word used in a sentence.

If you said anything other than what them Nun's wanted to hear, then it
was *WHACK!* with a
metal-edged ruler across the knuckles.

<Sarcasm>
Oh yeah, the 'good ol' days'
<blech>
</sarcasm>

But, we're straying from the topic, and radio in general.

I've been researcing the prices of the new Whizz-bang products...

Icom has a IC-7800 transciever... for better'n Ten THOUSAND dollars!

Hell, this HOUSE didn't cost -that- much, in 1954.

Here's a partial review from one Ham who bought an IC-7800...

---
"One of the first issues that a 7800 owner will have to deal with is the
response that others will have to your purchase. Many view $10-11K a
ridiculous amount to pay for an amateur radio. You could argue that the
cost of the 7800 is not unreasonable when compared to the expense of
owning a boat or motorcycle, taking a big vacation, or other significant
leisure items. In the end, the only truly effective rationalization for
buying the 7800 may be simply..."I wanted it and I could afford it." I
have to admit to being a bit reluctant to tell people I am using a 7800
as it often seems to change the tone and content of our conversation.

If you purchase the 7800 thinking that it performs significantly [ as in
$7-8K ] better than a Pro III, Mark V, or TS 950SDX, I think you will be
disappointed. I believe that most operators would be hard pressed to
correlate their preference for a particular radio to differences in
dynamic range or third order intercept points....that is, if they even
understand what they are. The most essential performance benchmark for
me is: "How well does it hear?"
---

Of course, all of the new radios do AM these days, and even with the 200
and 400w PEP output versions, you could even run the rig barefoot and
have an AM signal on the band.  A Decent Signal?  The jury's still out,
on that.  Personally, *I* like big triode transmitting Tubes.

What most hams don't realize, I don't think, is that with the recent
NPRM that does completely away with Morse Code knowledge to get -any-
class amatuer license, is that those who lobbied to have the
requirements lowered, to get a license, are the very people who stand to
make the most profit from it... The Yea-com-wood corporations!!

The whole thing smacks of politics and I is just, I say just downright
'regustipated' with the whole damn mess.

If they are going to NOT change the number of licensee classes, then why
have Novice sub-bands anymore?  There are not going to be any new Novices...

Thanks to John/WA5BXO, here's the whole thing (in case anyone has missed it)

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR

------------------------------------

SB QST @ ARL $ARLB018
ARLB018 FCC proposes dropping Morse code requirement entirely

ZCZC AG18
QST de W1AW
ARRL Bulletin 18  ARLB018
 From ARRL Headquarters
Newington CT  July 21, 2005
To all radio amateurs

SB QST ARL ARLB018
ARLB018 FCC proposes dropping Morse code requirement entirely

The FCC has proposed dropping the 5 WPM Morse code element as a
requirement to obtain an Amateur Radio license of any class. The
Commission included the recommendation in a July 19 Notice of
Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) in WT Docket 05-235, but it declined to
go along with any other proposed changes to Amateur Service
licensing rules or operating privileges. Changes to Part 97 that the
FCC proposed in the NPRM would not become final until the Commission
gathers additional public comments, formally adopts any new rules
and concludes the proceeding with a Report and Order specifying the
changes and an effective date. That's not likely to happen for
several months.

"Based upon the petitions and comments, we propose to amend our
amateur service rules to eliminate the requirement that individuals
pass a telegraphy examination in order to qualify for any amateur
radio operator license," the FCC said. The NPRM consolidated 18
petitions for rule making from the amateur community--including one
from the ARRL--that had proposed a wide range of additional changes
to the amateur rules. The FCC said the various petitions had
attracted 6200 comments from the amateur community, which soon will
have the opportunity to comment again--this time on the FCC's NPRM.

The Commission said it believes dropping the 5 WPM Morse examination
would encourage more people to become Amateur Radio operators and
would eliminate a requirement that's "now unnecessary" and may
discourage current licensees from advancing their skills. It also
said the change would "promote more efficient use" of amateur
spectrum.

To support dropping the code requirement, the FCC cited changes in
Article 25 of the international Radio Regulations adopted at World
Radiocommunication Conference 2003. WRC-03 deleted the Morse testing
requirement for amateur applicants seeking HF privileges and left it
up to individual countries to determine whether or not they want to
mandate Morse testing. Several countries already have dropped their
Morse requirements for HF access.

ARRL CEO David Sumner, K1ZZ, said he was not surprised to see the
FCC propose scrapping the Morse requirement altogether, although the
League had called for retaining the 5 WPM requirement only for
Amateur Extra class applicants. Sumner expressed dismay, however,
that the FCC turned away proposals from the League and other
petitioners to create a new entry-level Amateur Radio license class.

"We're disappointed that the Commission prefers to deny an
opportunity to give Amateur Radio the restructuring it needs for the
21st century," he said. "It appears that the Commission is taking
the easy road, but the easy road is seldom the right road."

Sumner said ARRL officials and the Board of Directors will closely
study the 30-page NPRM and comment further once they've had an
opportunity to consider the Commission's stated rationales for its
proposals.

In 2004, the League called on the FCC to create a new entry-level
license, reduce the number of actual license classes to three and
drop the Morse code testing requirement for all classes except for
Amateur Extra. Among other recommendations, the League asked the FCC
to automatically upgrade Technician licensees to General and
Advanced licensees to Amateur Extra. In this week's NPRM, the FCC
said it was not persuaded such automatic upgrades were in the public
interest.

The FCC said it did not believe a new entry-level license class was
warranted because current Novice and Tech Plus licensees will easily
be able upgrade to General once the code requirement goes away. The
Commission also said its "Phone Band Expansion" (or "Omnibus") NPRM
in WT Docket 04-140 already addresses some of the other issues
petitioners raised.

A 60-day period for the public to comment on the NPRM in WT 05-235
will begin once the notice appears in the Federal Register. Reply
comments will be due within 75 days.
NNNN
/EX