[AMRadio] Petition Pending

peter markavage manualman at juno.com
Wed Jun 22 12:15:04 EDT 2005

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 09:56:45 -0400 "Todd, KA1KAQ" <ka1kaq at gmail.com>
writes:
> > I also think they only thing that will 'save' amateur radio will be
> more hands-on involvement by active hams giving something back
> through
> public service, school visits, or other demonstrations. Giving away
> licenses hasn't done it, and won't.

Here's four recent examples off the ARRL site. Many clubs also have
activities that target public service, school visits, or other
demonstrations. You need to get out more from behind the gowing tubes and
dancing meters and see what's really happening with today's youth and
amateur radio.
http://www.remote.arrl.org/news/features/2005/06/16/1/?nc=1

http://www.remote.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/06/09/3/?nc=1

http://www.remote.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/06/03/100/?nc=1

http://www.remote.arrl.org/news/features/2005/05/17/1/?nc=1

>Today's radio gear resembles the
> computers, video game consoles, cellphones and stereo gear kids use on
> a daily basis, so even that is a tough sell. Show them some glowing
> tubes and meters with needles dancing around and their eyes light up.

Even some of us "seasoned hams" enjoy the flexibility, performance, and
the wealth of options that today's rigs provide us. I fail to see how
showing the youth of today "glowing tubes and dancing meters", who, most
likely, could not relate to these images, would entice them to embrace
amateur radio.

> Something about sending your voice across the country or around the
world without the aid of connected wires still has appeal.

Doing it with a box that's 2 inches high, 6 inches wide, and 8 inches
deep, and doesn't weigh 500 pounds and take up an entire table space, and
has more flexibility, features, performance, and has dancing LED meters
and other blinking novelties, probably can relate better with today's
youth.

>You're not going to get every kid, or even a lot of them, but when was
that ever the case?

Glowing tubes and dancing meters may have worked 30, 40, and 50 years ago
as an enticement, but that's past generation, It has little use as a
carrot in today's world.

Pete, WA2CWA