[AMRadio] Petition Pending

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 13:22:26 EDT 2005

On 6/22/05, peter markavage <manualman at juno.com> wrote:
<snip>

> Glowing tubes and dancing meters may have worked 30, 40, and 50 years ago
> as an enticement, but that's past generation, It has little use as a
> carrot in today's world.

Pete -

Apparently you missed the part I said about today's gear being too
much like what they already have and use without need for a license:
like a cellphone, the internet, or whatever else. I've been working in
the public service side of ham radio at least since 1984, and I've
been doing public demonstrations of vintage gear almost as long, on my
own as well as with folks like W1RC, K1MVP and others. I can say with
certainty, from firsthand experience - kids LOVE old radios.

Besides radio clubs, I've worked at, organized, or put on displays at
schools, government meetings, and public shopping malls for community
awareness days and such. I don't think it's a case of my needing to
get out more, Pete - I think more likely it's a case of you needing to
remove those rose-colored glasses that have 'A.R.R.L' stenciled across
the lenses. It's not just my opinion that the 'League' has been more
focused on selling books and subscriptions for the last 30 or more
years. If 'saving amateur radio' means dumbing it down until
absolutely no one wants to be part of it (think 'CB'), then your
approach works just fine. My experience in recent years has been that
people, including kids, relate FAR more to 'glowing tubes and dancing
meters' with respect to radio than they do with a plug and play piece
of plastic. No different than the general public still relating the
dits and dahs of CW with radio, which is why so many examples in film
and TV still use this and other 'outdated' clips to get the point
across.

I'd be curious to know what *your* experiences have been in the way of
public service, demonstrations, and whatever else to support your
approach. It's easy to post links to what others have done or are
doing, it's a whole lot different to be out there doing it.

In the meantime, you can check just a couple of links:

http://www.dps.state.vt.us/vem/races/index.html
http://www.ranv.org/news/ranvapr1.html

Couldn't find the report from the Milton hamfest a couple years back
(we didn't present one this year) when the old radio forum put on by
Mike, Rene, and I drew more attendees than the 'big' ARRL state
convention held at the same time. Yes, there were several high school
students present.

I'm willing to accept that the ARRL does serve a purpose, Pete. I just
don't think it does anywhere near the job it is capable of, or likes
to portray itself as doing. I've been a member twice, I won't be again
until the biased and arrogant mentality of much of the leadership has
changed. For some of them, it's just like a political position: it
becomes more of a career and less a case of 'serving the
constituents'. ARRL is supposed to represent all hams equally, not
simply the group that sells the most new Yaecomwood radios for their
advertisers.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ