[AMRadio] Petition Pending

Bob Macklin macklinbob at msn.com
Wed Jun 22 14:12:53 EDT 2005

David Knepper commented:

"Let's look at another generation that may be more turned on to ham radio -
our Senior citizens.  I believe that there are many in the 55 and older
cohert who would love to get their ticket so they could spend their idle
time talking to hams around the world."

I am one of those Senior Citizens that returned to ham radio after
retirement. I dropped out in 1972 because of an employment situation.

In 2002 I reinstated my ticket with my original 1957 call. I started
accumulating Heath BoatAnchors mostly from eBay and restoring them to
working condition. I have met many other OF "RETREADS" that are doing the
same thing I have done. And none are interested in the new solid state
riceboxes.

Many of us have also almost been turned off to the current state of ham
radio by reading the eHam and QRZ message boards.

Most of us are old CW and AM operators.

I have 3 2M FM riceboxes. They are so complicated to operate I have to keep
the instuction manuals handy. And the panels an displays are too small for
people my age(70+).

Bob Macklin
K5MYJ/7
Seattle, Wa.