[AMRadio] A bit OT: wire stripper?

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 24 02:43:51 EDT 2005

>   I'd like to have a source of some nice gunk you can just dip the wire in
>and wipe off the insulation.  Maybe I'm dreaming - in this post-EPA
>world...

Have you tried ordinary paint stripper?  I have had various degrees of
success with it.  Depends on what kind of varnish they used.  I seem to
remember it working well with older wire, such as in repairing pre-WW2 audio
transformers.

BTW, one of the things that makes many older transformers open up is the
solder itlelf, that eats up the fine wire, the same process that causes your
soldering gun tip to slowly disintegrate.  The process is exacerbated by
humidity.  Some of the newer solders are not supposed to do that (don't know
about the lead-free stuff).