[AMRadio] roundtable ettiquette

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 11:44:50 EDT 2005

On 6/23/05, peter markavage <manualman at juno.com> wrote:
> bad manners - be piss weak and talk long, direct all your dialogue to one
> person, make fun of Heil mikes, only talk about Class E rigs

Folks have covered much of the 'good', so I wanted to add to what Pete
has said here, from experience: if the band conditions are above or
even near the level that won't support pissweak (low power)
operations, be smart enough to realize it and don't lose the frequency
to some inconsiderate (or even 'unknowing', although you never hear
many of them actually ask) SSB op because you want to make an old
buzzard transmission but lack the power to be heard. I know what it's
like to want to participate from the times when even the 32V-2
wouldn't cut the mustard. Sometimes you just have to listen and let
the guys talk who can actually hear each other. Low power is fine,
even quite challenging. Just don't assume that others will want to
lose their conversation for it when conditions are questionable.

True, occasionally someone will drone on endlessly, but sometimes
there is a reason: they have a strapping signal and some SSB group has
decided to cozy up next to their frequency (maybe because some
pissweaker has tried to ramble on), so an extended transmission can
help clarify that the frequency is indeed in use.

Deciding if the conversation/roundtable is of interest to you is
probably an important thing to do as well. If there are a bunch of
guys discussing Class E and you're not interested, don't expect them
to halt their roundtable to talk about your new garden hose attachment
or power drill. Listening before transmitting yields excellent
results. Besides, Class E is in that category of 'the advancement of
ham radio' that Pete refers to from time to time.

As for Heil mics, I'd never make fun of them. Everyone knows they work
pretty well on SSB. (o:

Good manners work both ways. Someone wanting to join or someone
already in conversation. Unfortunately, politeness is often in the
same category as common sense in today's world: not common to all.

~ Todd/'Boomer'  KA1KAQ

BTW - along the lines of SSB stations deciding to move in on your
frequency by zero beating: AM reception is broad enough that you don't
need to be *exactly* on the same frequency. Someone a few hz high,
someone a few hz low makes it a lot less likely you'll be intefered
with.