[AMRadio] A bit OT: wire stripper?

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 11:53:17 EDT 2005

On 6/24/05, Donald Chester <k4kyv at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Have you tried ordinary paint stripper?  I have had various degrees of
> success with it.  Depends on what kind of varnish they used.  I seem to
> remember it working well with older wire, such as in repairing pre-WW2 audio
> transformers.

Another thing to factor in is time. It may not work in 5-10 minutes,
but might over several hours or more. Don't give up if it doesn't
yield results immediately.

> BTW, one of the things that makes many older transformers open up is the
> solder itlelf, that eats up the fine wire, the same process that causes your
> soldering gun tip to slowly disintegrate.  The process is exacerbated by
> humidity.  Some of the newer solders are not supposed to do that (don't know
> about the lead-free stuff).

Ah, yes - the evil acid-core stuff. Leaves a powdery substance in its
place. If the connection isn't buried inside of a coil or transformer,
it's oten easy to repair. Certainly ran into plenty of those issues
with old battery sets and even some of the early A/C stuff. Seems to
have been dealt with for the most part by mid/late 30s equipment?
Wonder if anyone has a timeline for the elimination of acid-core
solder?

~ Todd  KA1KAQ