[AMRadio] How to save the label ?

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 15:01:15 EDT 2005

On 6/24/05, VJB <wa3vjb at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On the old RCA board I mentioned earlier, I hope to
> save some labels inside the lid, including this serial
> number label:

Paul -

More likely the heat just scorched or 'cooked' the label over time,
same for the paint. You can do a more rapid version by holding paper
over heat and watching it turn brown or black.

Getting it off the paint shouldn't be too bad, the label is another
story. You could try carefully wiping at it with a damp cloth, very
lightly, or carefully removing the original and making a clean copy to
put in its place. You could then conserve the original however you see
fit. You could try to remove and re-attach it. The other choice is to
leave it in place, as-is. Unless the label is already loose and easy
to remove, it's likely you'd damage it trying to remove it, and
soaking it off could ruin it as well. I'd say wipe around it and leave
as-is, consider it a sign of well-earned character and age.

I lost count of how many passes I've made with goo-gone in an attempt
to remove all of the sticky residue from old dymo labels on my 212A
board. Over time the stuff seems to have leeched right into the paint.

Good luck with it -

~ Todd, 'KAQ