[AMRadio] is it quiet

Geoff w5omr at satx.rr.com
Mon Jun 27 10:27:52 EDT 2005

Todd, KA1KAQ wrote:

>Been in the 80s-90s and humid in the northeast, so I suspect folks up
>this way have been outside or, at the very least, not running their
>vintage gear to add to the heat. A/C isn't as widespread up this way
>other than the 2/80 type (roll down both windows in the car and go
>80).
>
>Gotta make hay while the sun shines, as they say. Problem is, I never
>seem to get caught up at home enough to allow me to do antenna work.
>
>Just one possibility...

been near 100° here, and just plain H O T.

this does Verify for me though, that mail is flowing.

Had a great time operating Field Day.  Mostly 40m CW, but at 8am on
Sunday Morning, my little
Rice Box, with all of it's 30w of AM Glory continued the Sunday Morning
tradition of operating
AM, from the field day site.  30w into a square loop at around 15ft off
the ground gave me a
report of 20db/S-9, from K5SPE 'way over in Ozona, TX.  That's every bit
of 275 miles from
where we were operating.  Also, Duey/K5KZQ was on with low-power, giving
us a great
report from Stonewall, TX.  Joe/K5HMD was on.  We were heard by all, and
quite well.  Makes
me want to work on -my- loop antenna, and get it square in the sky,
instead of pyramid shaped,
and (mostly) vertical.

Some pictures of the FD ops at
http://w5omr.shacknet.nu:81/~w5omr/hamstuff/fd2005/ if anyone