[AMRadio] Old Novice Days

Rbethman rbethman at comcast.net
Wed Mar 2 10:32:59 EST 2005

I vividly remember MY first Novice DX contact in 1981.

I was running an SB-102, HP-23, & SP-600 rig.  To get on 15 mtrs I was
using an 11 mtr ground plane (5/8 wave), with a homebrew tuner.

I was in the novice segment, called CQ, and got a SSB voice reply from a
Mr. Harry Adcock, ZL2MM, North Island, Masterton, New Zealand.

Obviously being a VERY excited novice, I fell all over myself with the
key.  Errors all over the place.  Mr. Adcock was VERY tolerant!  We went
on for around 20 - 30 minutes.  It was VERY satisfying and delightful,
in spite of my having to repeatedly send the "error" character!

Bob - N0DGN

--
                       Bob Bethman - N0DGN
+-------------------------------+----------------------------------+
| N0DGN AMRadio Manassas, VA    |    REAL Tube Radio and AM        |
+-------------------------------+----------------------------------+
|       Manassas Radio - Home of Homemade Kielbasa & Pirogi        |
+-------------------------------+----------------------------------+
| rbethman(at)comcast.net   \\ ~ ~ //      signal does *NOT* mean  |
|                           (/ @ @ /)      that everything is OK " |
|               <http://home.comcast.net/~rbethman>                |
| 1 BC-610I w/BC-614I,1 T-213/GRC-26 w/BC614I 1 '51 Collins R-390A |
|  SP-600/NR Type 159, Heath DX-60, Apache, Mohawk, SX-101, HT-32A |
|           Amateur Astronomer - Celestron Nexstar 8               |
|             12" f5 Dob coming soon!  Being built                 |
|                          Meade ETX-60                            |
|           38 Deg 46'48.62"' N - 77 Deg 28'26.89" W               |
|   Opinions expressed are that of my own and do not necessarily   |
|         coincide with or represent those of ANYONE else          |