[AMRadio] Old Novice Days

Geoff w5omr at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Wed Mar 2 12:48:23 EST 2005

n6dgy at kirtland.com wrote:

>I believe Harry, ZL2MM was the first DX for many novices.  My first was
>JH1WIX, Taroh Yagi, who also frequented the US Novice frequencies.  Harry
>was not far down the log as my second DX.  This was in the summer of 1980,
>I was about 15 years old, and freshly licensed as KA6JWD.
>
>I wish I could regain some of that old excitement.  It's been a LONG time
>since I've been on HF.  I'm renewing my interest ham radio with older
>vacuum tube gear such as a DX-100, Globe Scout, etc which are awaiting
>restoration and repair.  Several QRP projects are also in the works.

HOLY CRAP!

Somone on this list, is interested in AM, and is YOUNGER than me?  (46yrs)
;-)

My first Novice contact, as KA5THB, was with the most appropriate ham I
could
think of... W5OMR.

My Dad was issued that call back in nineteen forty-something, when he
exited (from
what HE called) the Moron Corps, and started working for the 'simple
servants' out
in Los Alamos, NM.

Originally issued W0BYB, in Ark City, KS, when you changed call areas,
you had to
(back then) change call signs, and take what they gave you.

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR